A simple shopping trip with her college roommate landed Erin Dix, 18, in University Hospitals with very serious injuries after being run over in the parking lot of the Wilson Avenue Hy-Vee on Tuesday night. The culprit — a drunken driver.
I thought I should share a comment left on my story by a family member:
While Mr. Sarchett waits to see if he’ll get more charges against him, Erin lays in the burn unit at the University of Iowa hospital fighting the pain of Mr. Sarchett’s stupid mistake.
She suffers from many cuts and lastrations, severe burns from battery acid, a clasped lung, 2 fractures on her lower back, bruised intestines, cuts on her liver…the list of injuries go on and on. She will have a long road to recovery and in excruciating pain.
Thoughts and prayers for Erin’s quick recovery would be greatly appreciated by Erin and her family.
We are hoping for a speedy recovery for you, and can’t wait to see you out of the hospital!
-the Dix Family
Jon Sarchett never had a drunken driving arrest before, according to court records. He actually hadn’t gotten into any trouble with the law since 1997, when he was charged with open container.
It’s a shame that Erin has to pay for his “stupid mistake.” I will try to bring you more about her and her roommate, Brianne Hanson (who, on a side note, went to Woodbury Central High School in Moville, just minutes from my hometown of Sioux City).